RN-to-BSN Program Admission Criteria
To expedite the admission process, the following are recommended to take place concurrently:
Step 1 of admission process:
- Admission to Mayville State University
- Applicants must meet university admission requirements for transfer students
- Be in good academic standing (not on dismissed or suspended status) at the most recent college or university you have attended.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.0 at the conclusion of any semester in which the number of institutional and transfer hours attempted reaches or exceeds 64 semester hours.
- Note: minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 required for nursing program admission
- Complete the Mayville State University Application for Admission – Online Application
- Submit a non-refundable, one-time $35 application fee. No admissions decisions will be made until the application fee is received.
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions. These must be sent directly from the institution and must show all courses attempted and grades earned. Transcripts must be signed by a school official and contain the official school seal.
Step 2 of admission process:
- Admission to the RN-to-BSN Program
- Completion of the RN-to-BSN Program application
- Nursing Program Application
- Admission Deadlines
- Fall Semester: March 1st (for first review, open until full cohort)
- Spring Semester: October 1st (for first review, open until full cohort)
- Submit $25.00 program application fee paid by check or money order, or by calling the MSU Business Office at 701-788-4757
- Earned nursing degree leading to RN licensure (AAS, AS, or Diploma) from a regionally accredited institution (nursing program accreditation not required)
- Conditional program acceptance will be granted if applying in final semester of RN program until the final AAS/AS-RN degree has been posted.
- Active unencumbered RN license or be a graduate in current semester with license pending
- Must be licensed by July 15th for Fall semester start/November 15th for Spring start (later date allowed only by Program Director approval).
- Conditional program acceptance will be granted to applicants who do not hold RN licensure but are scheduled for or awaiting results of the NCLEX-RN Exam.
- Submit license information including license number and state of issuance
- Should a final transcript or licensure status indicate the applicant has not met the above admission requirements, conditional acceptance will be withdrawn and the student will be required to reapply to the program in a future semester. The applicant will not be considered as admitted to the program to continue with enrollment in nursing courses without valid RN licensure. Enrollment in courses outside of the nursing major (Essential Studies courses, 300/400 level courses, and a statistics course), however, may proceed.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Minimum grade of "C" required for all previous nursing courses
- Two professional letters of reference addressing nursing role performance (use RN-to-BSN Program Reference form).
- References must be submitted in sealed envelope, with signature of reference source across the seal or may be emailed, by reference source, to email@example.com, Administrative Coordinator.
- Identification of public health clinical site(s) available local to student residence for required clinical course, NURS 442.
- Applicant must indicate potential public health agency locations on program application
- Applicant from a state other than ND or MN must be a resident of a state where Mayville State University is authorized to offer online degree programs, see MaSU State Authorizations Website. In addition, the applicant must obtain approval for student clinical experiences from the state board of nursing within his/her state of residence prior to being granted program admission. Documentation of state board of nursing approval using Public Health Clinical Approval Form is required.
- Submit the following during the first semester of program enrollment:
- Approval for practice verified through background/criminal history record check
- Proof of current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider (BLS) CPR
- Proof of health screening and immunizations - completion of Nursing Program Health Screening/Immunization Form
- Access to a computer with high-speed Internet and virus protection
- Personal computer requirements will be provided upon request
Shannon Skovlund, Administrative Coordinator
Mayville State University RN-to-BSN Program
330 Third Street NE, Mayville, ND 58257
Admission is competitive and is based on a point system. Points are given based on cumulative GPA, earned nursing credit GPA, reference information, previous application to the program, RN nursing graduation from a North Dakota institution, residency in North Dakota or employment as an RN in North Dakota, and existence of an articulation/affiliation agreement. The number of students admitted each semester is limited. The Nursing Program reserves the right to deny admission. Failure to disclose previous or pending convictions or falsification of information may lead to denial of admissions or may be considered grounds for dismissal from the program.
- The Office of Admissions will notify applicants of their admission to MSU.
- The Nursing Director will notify applicants of their admission status to the nursing program.