ABOUT CHEMISTRY COURSES AT MAYVILLE STATE
Do you need General Chemistry? Do you need a year of General Chemistry so that you can enter a Chemistry program or fulfill a different program’s requirement, but can’t fit it into your schedule or need to do it online? Mayville State University offers General Chemistry I and General Chemistry II online and meets the requirements of many Chemistry/essential studies/nursing/health/engineering programs!
We are pleased to offer ONLINE labs that are full-contact, non-virtual labs to give you the hands-on experience required by most of these programs.
Maybe you only need the lecture or only the lab? Not a problem, you can enroll in either or both! Of course, it is beneficial to take both simultaneously because they are coordinated to work together.
While these courses are “asynchronous” they do still have deadlines that students will need to meet. You must enroll for a semester term and complete assignments over the duration of the semester. So, the courses provide structure to help guide the students through the entirety of the course. You need to meet the deadlines as missed assignments are missed points.
CHEM 121 - General Chemistry I
General Chemistry I is intended to fulfill needs of students from NUMEROUS backgrounds or even essential studies/prereq courses. Topics for General Chemistry I include everything from the Scientific Method, to Nomenclature, Chemical Reactivity, Ionic and Covalent Bonding, and the Periodic Table. These are also incorporated into the at-home labs so you cover the material numerous times and gain added, important exposure.
Mayville State University offers General Chemistry I online during the fall semester. You must register and complete the courses within the semester timeframe. General Chemistry I is a fully transferable course. While Mayville State University is a fully accredited university and a member of the North Dakota University System, we recommend you submit the course syllabus to your institution to insure the course will be transferred to the specific university and program you are applying. Computers/Laptops with internal or external webcams/microphones are required for this course.
CHEM 122 - General Chemistry II
General Chemistry II is intended to fulfill needs of students from NUMEROUS backgrounds or even essential studies/prerequisite courses. Topics for General Chemistry II include everything from the Stoichiometry to Equilibriums, Gas Laws, Acids and Bases, and Thermodynamics. These are also incorporated into the at-home labs so you cover the material numerous times and gain added, important exposure.
Mayville State University offers General Chemistry II online during the Spring semester. You must register and complete the courses within the semester timeframe. General Chemistry II is a fully transferable course. While Mayville State University is a fully accredited university and a member of the North Dakota University System, we recommend you submit the course syllabus to your institution to insure the course will be transferred to the specific university and program you are applying. Computers/Laptops with internal or external webcams/microphones are required for this course.
Students registered for CHEM 121 for the Fall 2023 term will be able to access course information by 4 pm on August 21 when the course opens in Blackboard, but if you have specific questions about the course before then, please reach out to Jeff Hovde at email@example.com. Students taking our courses for transfer to another institution should work with their program advisor at the school from which they are seeking a degree to ensure the credits will transfer as expected.
TUITION AND FEES
For the 2023-2024 academic year, tuition and fees for distance and online courses is $337.25/semester hour credit. This tuition and fees rate is the same for in-state and out-of-state students. Tuition and fees are subject to change for the upcoming year. Books, materials, and proctoring fees (if required) are additional costs. Our online chemistry book and lab kit prices will be available through the Mayville State Bookstore.
Complete tuition and fee information is available at the MSU Business Office website.
Although non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid, we do offer payment plans through which students can make monthly payments over the Fall term rather than having to pay all charges at once by the final payment due date of September 6. For more information, contact the Mayville State Business Office at 701.788.4757.
WHEN ARE THE CHEMISTRY COURSES OFFERED?
Online General Chemistry I is offered for the Fall 2023 term in a 16-week format, and classes will begin on August 22. Online General Chemistry II will be offered for the Spring 2024 term. We’d love to have you join us!
YES! ENROLLMENT IS OPEN TO NON-DEGREE STUDENTS.
Non-degree students located out-of-state are encouraged to apply and be enrolled at least a week before term start. Students enrolling later than that may experience delays in accessing the course and receiving materials which are only available through the Mayville State Bookstore. It takes 72 hours after registration before students are able to place online book/material orders with the Bookstore (lab materials are only offered through our bookstore). Shipment of books and materials takes additional time, and you will want to be in the best position to begin your classes.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION AND REGISTER FOR ONLINE CHEMISTRY COURSES
Mayville State is accepting applications for the Fall 2023 term now.
1) Any student intending to take online General Chemistry courses must first apply to Mayville State University. You will need to complete an application to Mayville State and pay the $35 application fee.
2) Once you've applied, your admission request will be processed. Please watch your email for communications from the Office of Admissions. If there are any questions we have regarding your application, will will need you to respond as soon as possible. Once we are able to fully process your application, we will send you an admissions notification by email. This notification will let you know if you are admitted and includes information on the next steps you will need to take to get enrolled in classes.
3) You will receive your student ID number in your notification of admission. The first thing you will need to do after you are admitted is to claim your NDUS student account. To start the process, go to the NDUS Claim Page. Please refer to these Student Account Claim instructions as needed. If you have any problems during this process, contact the NDUS Help Desk by phone at 1.866.457.6387 (toll-free in the US and Canada) or email the NDUS Help Desk.
4) After your account is claimed, you will then be able to log in to Campus Connection to submit the Financial Obligation Agreement electronically.
5) You are ready to register! If you are enrolling in General Chemistry I courses (CHEM 121/L), you can self-register by following these enrollment instructions after claiming your NDUS account and signing the Financial Obligation Agreement.
6) You should not self-enroll in General Chemistry II courses (CHEM 122/L) if they are your first courses with Mayville State or if you are only taking lectures (no labs) or only taking labs (no lectures).
7) Non-degree seeking students are students not completing an entire degree program from Mayville State University. Non-degree seeking students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid from Mayville State University. Students outside of North Dakota interested in online programs from Mayville State University should review the State Authorization webpage to determine programs available in your state.
8) Please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions whenever you need assistance or have questions with anything related to your online learning and success. We are here to help in any way we can!
For more information, contact: