Getting Started with the GI Bill®

Items to Remember:

The university's certifying official does not automatically know to certify you for your courses unless you verbally communicate this information with the official.

It takes time for the VA to process a benefit request (normally 6-12 weeks). Please keep this in mind and begin the process early enough to avoid any delay in starting coursework.

To apply for veterans or dependent benefits, visit the VA Education Website.  Here, you can apply for benefits, manage your benefits, and request a Certificate of Eligibility, 

If you are a transfer student (a student who has been using VA benefits while attending another college or university), you will need to complete the Change of Program or Place of Training request online.  

The VA will only cover costs for coursework that is listed in your degree plan.

If you are receiving Chapter 30, Chapter 35, or Chapter 1606 benefits, you must verify your attendance (generally the last day of each month of coursework) in the WAVE system.

You must notify the university's VA certifying official if you have dropped or withdrawn from a course.

Review Majors
  • Review programs and offerings at Mayville and select a program of study.
  • If undecided or need assistance in the process, please contact Enrollment Services at 800-437-4104 ext. 4842.
Apply to University
  • Submit Mayville State University Application and App Fee. For information on becoming a Mayville State student, visit The Mayville State Admissions page.
  • Submit all previous transcripts (high school/college).
Apply for GI Bill Benefits
  • Apply for benefits on the VA website.
  • Provide Certificate of Eligibility and/or DD Form 214 to Mayville State and contact the University's VA Certifying Official.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at