Dependents of Military Members & Veterans

The Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits are able to be transferred from an active duty member to his or her dependents (spouses or children).  In order to qualify for this, the military member must be actively serving in some capacity, either Active Duty, Reserves, or National Guard to be able to transfer entitlement.  Once a service member leaves the military, he or she can no longer make that transfer.  Contact your installation's education officer for details in signing over benefits to spouses or children.

Other Programs and Benefits

Free Tuition for North Dakota Dependents           

If you are the dependent of a North Dakota veteran who was killed, totally disabled or declared missing in action, you may attend a North Dakota University System institution without paying tuition or fees for up to 45 months.

To be eligible, you first must be accepted for enrollment by a University System campus. General information on this program can be found on the North Dakota Veterans Affairs website. For detailed information, contact the Business Office or veterans services department on the campus of your choice.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)                          

MyCAA is an educational initiative sponsored by the DOD. Under this initiative, military spouses are able to receive up to $6,000 in financial assistance to help them pursue their education. For more information on this program, please visit: MyCAA.

Tuition Assistance: Army National Guard Benefits

The day you join the Army National Guard you become eligible for tuition assistance, even if you’re still in high school. Tuition assistance may be used in addition to the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Army National Guard G.I. Bill Kicker, Active Duty Montgomery G.I. Bill and Pell Grants.

For more information, visit the North Dakota National Guard website.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible sons, daughters or spouses of:

  • Veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result out of active service in the Armed Forces
  • Veterans who died while a service-connected disability was in existence
  • Servicemembers who are missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force
  • Servicemembers forcibly detained or interned by a foreign government or power
  • Servicemembers who are hospitalized or receive outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and are likely to be discharged for that disability

This federal program offers dependents up to 45 months of education benefits. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.