Getting Started with the GI Bill

Items to Remember:

The university's certifying official does not automatically know to certify you for your courses unless you verbally communicate this information with the official.

It takes time for the VA to process a benefit request (normally 6-12 weeks). Please keep this in mind and begin the process early enough to avoid any delay in starting coursework.

If you are a transfer student (a student who has been using VA benefits while attending another college or university), you will need to complete the Change of Program/Place of Training form: VA Form 22-1995, which is available at

The VA will only cover costs for coursework that is listed in your degree plan.

You must verify your attendance (generally the last day of each month of coursework) in the WAVE system.

You must notify the university's VA certifying official if you have dropped or withdrawn from a course.

Review Majors
  • Review programs and offerings at Mayville and select a program of study.
  • If undecided or need assistance in the process, please contact Emrollment Services at 800-437-4104 ext. 4842.
Apply to University
  • Submit Mayville State University Application and App Fee. *Instructions on how to Apply are located in the 'Become a Student' section of this website*
  • Submit all previous transcripts (high school/college).
Apply for GI Bill Benefitts
  • Complete VA Form 22-1990 and submit to VA.
  • Provide Certificate of Eligibility and DD Form 214 to Mayville State and contact the University's VA Certifying Official.