Graduation FAQs

grad2.jpgWhen should I apply for graduation?
You should apply for graduation two terms prior to your intended graduation date.

When will I receive my graduation audit?
Your audit will be sent to your campus mailbox or home address as soon as your application is processed. The timeline varies, depending on the number of graduation applications being processed at the time.

What do I do to change my graduation date to a later semester?
Please email the change to You do not need to re-apply for graduation.

Should I re-apply if I want to change my major, add or subtract a major/minor or degree?
No. Please notify the Office of Academic Records and we will make the necessary adjustments and provide you with updated information for your new graduation requirements.

When will I receive information about Commencement?
Information regarding commencement will be sent to your Mayville State email account.

Do I need tickets or guest passes for the commencement ceremony?
No tickets or guests passes are needed. Graduates are free to have as many family members and friends join them for the ceremony as they wish. 

How do I obtain a cap and gown for the ceremony?
Order your announcements and Commencement regalia at Mayville State University's bookstore website by March 1.

What are the requirements for "Graduating with Honors"?
Honor cords can be worn by undergraduate candidates who achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher in courses completed at Mayville State University at the end of the semester proceeding the graduation term. Official MSU honor cords are distributed through the MSU Bookstore to eligible undergraduate candidates.

How long will the ceremony last?
Typically the ceremony is one to one and a half hours long.

What should I do if my name is spelled incorrectly in the student record system?
Contact the Office of Academic Records at 701-788-4774.

When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas will be sent to the address provided on your graduation application. Summer graduate diplomas will be mailed first class mail in late August, fall graduate diplomas in late February and spring graduate diplomas in late July.

Can I order additional copies of my diploma?
Yes, you may order additional copies of your diploma. Mayville State University will furnish the first copy of your diploma free of charge. There is a $45 charge for additional copies. To order, please contact the Office of Academic Records at 701-788-4678.

Do I need to re-apply for admission to continue my studies at MSU?
Yes, you must reapply for admission to Mayville State University once you have received your degree. Please contact the Office of Academic Records at 701-788-4635 or apply online.

Will a transcript be sent with my diploma?
No, but you may download and print or save your own unofficial transcript directly from you student self-service portal in Campus Connection. Click here to request an official transcript. Please note on the request if you want to have your transcript sent out after your degree has been posted.