Frequently Asked Questions

1) How can I apply to MSU

MSU accepts International Applications through the website

Students apply online by clicking “Apply Now” at

 2) What documents are required, as part of my application?

Your complete application should include an International Student application, International Student Scholarship Application, Copy of Valid Passport, Financial Statement and official bank letter proving personal and family funds, official results demonstrating English Proficiency from TOEFL, IELTS, ELS, SAT, or ACT. Official High School and Post-Secondary transcripts, a copy of immunization records, Housing and board application with reservation deposit and Visa transfer (applies to International Students transferring from another USA institution.) A detailed check list is available on the website (under Admissions)

3) Is the TOEFL, SAT, IELTS, or ELS scores required for admission and is there a minimum score required?

Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting official results of one of the following:

TOEFL score of 68 on the Internet-based test, or 523 on the paper test; or IELTS score of 6.0 or better; or completion of an official ELS course at levels 112 or above

ACT English sub test of 18 or higher

SAT Writing of 430 or higher

4) Can my supporting documents (transcript, TOEFL scores etc.) be sent electronically?

MSU only accepts Original documents with original ink, stamps and seal. All documents must bear an official signature in ink of the appropriate official of the institution (such as the registrar or recorder of records) and must bear the institution's seal. If the college or university will not mail original, official academic documents to the United States or if the student only receives one original copy of academic documents, exact, attested copies that have been certified as such by the appropriate institutional official of each institution attended should be sent.

No faxed or scanned copies will be accepted. Supporting documents should be sent to the Office of Admissions, Mayville State University, 330 Third Street NE, Mayville, ND 58257.

5) I have permanent residency in the US. Should I apply as an International Student?

No, you should apply through the same process as a U.S citizen.

6) Do you accept requests to waive application fee?

Unfortunately we do not accept application fee waiver requests.

7) How do I apply as a transfer student?

You can apply online on our website at Under Admissions, select International Transfer Student.

8) As a Transfer Student does MSU award credit for classes taken at a different college or outside the  USA?

Yes MSU does award credit however a course by course evaluation is required. To receive credit for previously taken college level coursework transcripts must be translated and evaluated by World Education Services or another credential evaluation agency who is a members of NACES. An English course description or syllabi maybe required.  To learn more about international credit evaluation, see

9) Does MSU award credit for A-levels, Abitur, IB diploma, AP credits?

Yes Advanced standing and collegiate-level credits may be awarded based on students’ performance on these exams and certain other upper-secondary school certificates. Students should send score reports to the Office of Admission for evaluation. An official evaluation of a student’s secondary record is often helpful in this process and can be provided by organizations such as World Educational Services (WES).  Please see the MSU International Exam Credit Policy.

10)      What financial aid might international students be eligible for?

International students could receive a scholarship up to $4888 per academic year based on academic qualifications and scholarship availability. Students should complete the scholarship form when they apply for admission to Mayville State University.  

Tuition and fee information is listed on the Business Office page. 

11)      How do I obtain my I-20 Form?

After you are officially admitted to MSU and all supporting documentation has been received, you will receive an I-20 that will be signed by the Registrar.

12)      Are International transfer students considered for scholarships?

Yes, International Transfer Students who are eligible may be awarded scholarships in the form of tuition waivers. Students should complete the scholarship form when they apply for admission to Mayville State University. 

13)      What options are available for housing?

MSU has three residence halls that provide on-campus housing for students. Berg Hall and Birkelo hall are traditional style dorms; Agassiz Hall features 2 or 4 person apartment and suite style rooms.

14)      Is off-campus housing available for International Students?

Mayville State University provides housing for its admitted students who apply for housing. Freshmen are required to live on campus. There are some off-campus housing options however apartment availability cannot be guaranteed; therefore international students are encouraged to live on campus. There are greater opportunities to interact with other students and become involved in campus activities.  International Impact housing waivers are available for international students living on-campus. 

15)      What employment opportunities are available for International students?

Many offices here on campus offer student employment; some of the most popular places where students work include the Library, Dining hall, Maintenance, and office assistance (filing, mailing etc).

16)      What is campus life like at MSU?

Campus is small, friendly and safe. You will get to know a number of other students here not only in the residential dorms but in campus activities. MSU offers intra-mural sports, theatre, student clubs and organizations as well as academic clubs that provide activities for students on campus weekly. Varsity sports have weekly games and the community has a number of attractions from restaurants to the local movie theatre that are visited frequently by the students.

17)      What immunization records are required for admission?

Measles, mumps, rubella, tuberculin (TB) and Meningococcal (Meningitis)