The eighth annual Mayville State University Comet Athletic Club Sportsmen’s Raffle event held Saturday evening, September 6 at the Mayville Armory, was another great success. Proceeds will be used to support scholarships for Mayville State University student athletes. This support is key in attracting student athletes to play on Mayville State teams.
The highlight of the evening was the drawing for 60 guns that were given away to individuals who had purchased raffle tickets for a chance to win. The event was attended by about 300 people who enjoyed dinner and had an opportunity to participate in a variety of other raffles with the chance of winning some terrific prizes.
Tom Moe of Mayville emceed the program. Sound, lighting, and audio-visual effects provided by HB Sound & Light of Grand Forks, N.D. enhanced the evening’s activities. A cash bar was provided by Mayville Golf Club. MSU Dining Services cooked and served the meal.
“We at Mayville State extend our since thanks to all who played a part in the success of the eighth annual Sportsmen’s Raffle,” said Mayville State University President Gary Hagen. “This activity is extremely important to Mayville State, and specifically Mayville State Athletics.”
Dick Viken of Mayville was the lucky winner in the special raffle of a Rock River LAR-15 Varmint w/4-16x56 scope. Those who attended the event could purchase chances to win the opportunity to choose one of three keys that would potentially open a gun lock that was securing the gun. Dick was the winner of the first round and was lucky enough to choose the winning key. Had the key not opened the lock, the raffle would have progressed for one or two more rounds, depending on the outcome of the second round.
Finley Motorsports of Finley, N.D. sponsored the raffle of a 2014 Polaris Ranger XP all-terrain vehicle. Mark Frost, Hope, N.D., was the winner of the ATV. Cash consolation prizes were won by Dustin Neva, Hatton, N.D.; Mark Muhonen, Fargo, N.D.; Gail Schumann, Mayville, N.D.; Troy Schimke, Mayville, N.D.; Pete Johnson, New London, Minn.; N&N Farms, Portland, N.D.; Joan Thompson, Sharon, N.D.; and Chad Hanson, Mayville, N.D.
A number of side raffle prizes were also given away at the event. Among the winners were Marvin Eberhardt of Mayville, who won a John Deere gun safe that was donated by Valley Plains Equipment. Lance Fugleberg, Portland, N.D., won a Case IH grill donated by Titan Machinery. Cash winners were James Nelson, Portland, N.D.; Dale Baldock, Mayville, N.D.; Matt Nelson, Portland, N.D.; and Rod Schnebli, Grand Forks, N.D.
The Comet Athletic Club Sportsmen’s Raffle is held each year to raise funds for scholarships for Mayville State’s student-athletes. Tickets for the gun raffle are sold for $100 each. A limited number of tickets is sold each year, allowing for a one-in-10 chance to win a gun.
“We are grateful to the many people who purchased raffle tickets and participated in the raffle event activities on September 6,” said Comet Athletic Club board president and Sportsmen’s Raffle organizer Mark Kloster of Mayville. “We also extend our sincere thanks to Tom Moe, who served as our emcee for the evening, to Finley Motorsports, Valley Plains Equipment, Titan Machinery, Scheel’s, and the Mayville Golf Club for their support, and to the Comet Athletic Club board members who worked hard to make it happen. A special ‘thanks’ goes out to Chad Hanson of Chad’s Excavating for being our overall event sponsor. With his support, we’ll be able to have an even great impact with student scholarships raised through our event.”
The list of winners in the 60-gun giveaway follows:
1. Benelli Super Black Eagle 12ga 3 1/2”, Will Melbye, Franklin, Va.;
2. Beretta M9 9mm auto, Gary Boeddeker, Hillsboro, N.D.;
3. Henry Golden Boy 22LR, Brad Thykeson, Portland, N.D.;
4. Stoeger Coach 12ga SS, Sheldon Windels, Detroit Lakes, Minn.;
5. Ruger M77 All Weather w/ scope, Paul Enger, Mayville, N.D.;
6. Taurus 709 9mm, Ted Karlstad, Mayville, N.D.;
7. Howa 1500 308, Tory Reuter, Cooperstown, N.D.;
8. Mossberg Flex 500 12ga, John Jacobson, Mayville, N.D.;
9. Traditions Colt Navy Redipack, Jason Silseth, Fargo, N.D.;
10. Ruger American 243, Rick Torgeson, Mayville, N.D.;
11. Ruger Vaquero 45LC revolver, Robert Osowski, Grafton, N.D.;
12. Remington 887 12ga 3 ½' Camo, Andy Olson, Fargo, N.D.;
13. Tikka T-3 25-06 SS w/scope, Mike Ingalls, West Fargo, N.D.;
14. Sig Sauer 1911 22LR, Mark Frost, Hope, N.D.;
15. Winchester SX3 Camo 3 1/2”, Brian Halvorson, Mayville, N.D.;
16. Remington 700 ADL 22-250 w/scope, Marlin Ingebretson, Mayville, N.D.;
17. Weatherby Vaguard II 25-06, Karen Larson, Mayville, N.D.;
18. Remington 870 EXP 12ga, Larry Domier, Mayville, N.D.;
19. Remington 1911 45acp, Harlan Pladson, Hatton, N.D.;
20. CVA Wolf Package, Jeff Eliason, Thompson, N.D.;
21. Howa 1500 Snow Camo 204, Justin Mahler, Fargo, N.D.;
22. Ruger Single Six 22/22mag, Lucas Tangen, Fargo, N.D.;
23. Savage Axis Pkg 22-250, Donna Adams, Portland, N.D.;
24. Springfield XD Compact 9mm, Josh Jordan, Clifford, N.D.;
25. Browning A5 20ga, Matt Hausmann, Hillsboro, N.D.;
26. Henry Lever Action Blued 22LR, Ron Lerol, Finley, N.D.;
27. Weatherby PO8 20ga pump, Chad Hanson, Mayville, N.D.;
28. Browning Buckmark 22 auto, Miles Christianson, Northwood, N.D.;
29. Ruger SR45 auto, Jacob McLean, Hillsboro, N.D.;
30. Remington 700 SPS Varmint 22-250, Bret Skalsky, LaPorte, Texas;
31. Springfleld XDM 40, Brandon Nitzkorski, Laurel, Mont.;
32. Savage 93R17 HMR pkg, Brian Aune, Mayville, N.D.;
33. Beretta PX4 40 auto, Nathan Strong, Portland, N.D.;
34. Stoeger 3500 3 1/2” auto/camo, John Moen, Mayville, N.D.;
35. Savage Bmag w/ scope, Justin Strong, Pasco, Wash.;
36. Winchester SXP Black Shadow 12ga, Jodi Fugleberg, Portland, N.D.;
37. Benelli Super Nova 12ga 3 1/2” camo, Brian Lyste, Finley, N.D.;
38. Traditions Buckstalker .50 pkg, Dick Viken, Mayville, N.D.;
39. Browning X-Bolt Hunter 30-06, Bruce Boeddeker, Hillsboro, N.D.;
40. Beretta A400 Auto 28ga, Jerod Strand, Lakeville, Minn.;
41. DPMS Oracle, Jim Morowski, Portland, N.D.;
42. Taurus Judge 410/45, Kris Brekken, Hillsboro, N.D.;
43. Ruger 10/22 Wood/Blued w/ scope, Jeff Bjerke, Grand Forks, N.D.;
44. CVA Optima Camo/SS, Steve Bensen, Mayville, N.D.;
45. Stoeger Condor 12ga O/U, Duane Rindy, Fargo, N.D.;
46. Smith and Wesson 637 38spl, Luke Nielson, Portland, N.D.;
47. Benelli Nova 20ga, Trevor Knudson, Thompson, N.D.;
48. Remington 783 30-06, Shannon Bergstrom, Portland, N.D.;
49. Franchi/Benelle Infinity Camo 20ga, Craig Klabo, Portland, N.D.;
50. Thompson Center Triumph Bone Collector, Jon Klabo, Mayville, N.D.;
51. Ruger GP100 357, Bonnie Skar, Mapleton, N.D.;
52. Beretta A300 12ga Black, Marc Hagen, Grand Forks, N.D.;
53. Marlin 1895G Lever 45-70, Billy Balstad, Portland, N.D.;
54. Savage Axis II, Ben Jones, Grand Forks, N.D.;
55. Franchi/Benelli Affinity 12ga auto, Clyde Pladson, Hatton, N.D.;
56. Stoeger Condor 20ga O/U, Rod Bolstad, Hillsboro, N.D.;
57. Henry Golden Boy 17HMR*, Rich DePaolis, Portland, N.D.;
58. Henry Big Boy Lever 44/357/45, Terell Knudson, Bisbee, N.D.;
59. Glock 22 40auto, Jody Stevens, Portland, N.D.;
60. Beretta A400 Camo Auto 12ga, Mark Staskivige, Grand Forks, N.D.
Captions for photos:
Top: Mayville State University President Dr. Gary Hagen (center) draws the winners in the ATV raffle. Mark Frost of Hope, N.D. was the winner of the 2014 Polaris Ranger XP. Several others won consolation cash prizes in the raffle. Comet Athletic Club president, Mark Kloster, is on the left. Event emcee, Tom Moe, is on the right.
Bottom: Dick Viken was the lucky winner of a Rock River LAR-15 Varmint. Richard won the chance to choose one of three keys, and chose the one that opened the gun lock, which meant the gun was his to keep! Comet Athletic Club board member Mike Carr (center) is shown opening the lock. Event emcee Tom Moe is pictured on the right.