November 20, 2023
The Mayville State University Mathematics Department and Math Club hosted a math meet for area high school students Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023. Eight teams of four students each competed in individual and team events held throughout the day. They represented Central Valley, Hatton Eielson, Hillsboro, Larimore, Hope-Page, Thompson, Northwood, and May-Port CG Public Schools.
Teams and their coaches are as follows:
- Central Valley, coached by Brent Engebretson - Jack Knudsvig, Melanie Billings, Kate Seyfried, and Megan Ensign.
- Hatton, coached by Christopher Strand - Drew Handly, Derek Carpenter, Brody Johnson, and Cooper Handly.
- Hillsboro, coached by Logan McAllister - Lex Ellingson, Brayden Chenault, Kaden Kozojed, and Peter Oanes.
- Larimore, coached by Ben Jacobson - Avery Gratton, Sadie Aamodt, Hayden Sands, and Bo Solseng.
- Hope-Page, coached by Alex Holen - Tommy Erickson, Bobby Bergfield, Harlie Huschka, and Preston Dows.
- Thompson, coached by Tara Shirek - Avry Kostelecky, Easton Lovelace, Brenna Martin, and Karter Peterson
- Northwood, coached by Dane Henke - Aslan Berke, Carson Beaudin, Alora Berke, and Freyja Engen.
- May-Port CG, coached by Adam Sola - Jaxon Freeberg, Matthew Rexine, Emma Dockter, and Jacob McClenahen.
- Team Champion - Hatton
- Team 2nd Place - May-Port CG
- Kahoot! Game Winner - Hatton
- Kahoot! Game 2nd Place - Central Valley
- Kahoot! Game 3rd Place - Thompson
- Individual Champion - Drew Handly, Hatton
- Individual Second Place - Derek Carpenter, Hatton
- Individual Third Place - Brody Johnson, Hatton
The Hatton team came out on top in the team competition at Mayville State’s math meet for high school students Nov. 7. They are (l-r) Derek Carpenter, Brody Johnson, Cooper Handly, and Drew Handly.
May-Port CG was the team runner-up. Team members are (l-r) Emma Dockter, Jacob McClenahen, Matthew Rexine, and Jaxon Freeberg.