September 5, 2019
Several Mayville State University alumni and friends will be honored during the Mayville State University Alumni Association’s 2019 homecoming festivities scheduled for Oct. 11 through 13 in Mayville, N.D.
Richard Dean, Maple Grove, Minn., Cassie Leraas, Esmond, N.D., and Jeremy Strand, Portland, N.D., will be inducted into the Mayville State University Athletic Hall of Fame. Mark Frost, Hope, N.D., Curt Herman, Tolna, N.D., Earl Larson, Franklin, Wis., Todd Olson, Fargo, N.D., and Richard “Dick” Saxlund, West Fargo, N.D., will be inducted into Mayville State Athletic Coaches Hall of Fame. These folks will be honored during a banquet scheduled for 6 p.m. on Friday, Oct.11 in the MSU Campus Center Luckasen Room. A pre-dinner social will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the MSU Larson Alumni and Leadership Center.
An all-alumni homecoming brunch is planned for Saturday morning, Oct. 12. It will begin at 9 a.m.in the Campus Center Luckasen Room. At the brunch, Distinguished Alumni and Distinguished Service Award recipients for 2019 will be recognized, along with this year’s Performing Arts Hall of Fame inductees. All Mayville State alumni and friends are invited to enjoy brunch, celebrate being Mayville State alumni, and join in honoring outstanding Mayville State alumni and friends.
Honorees at the all-alumni homecoming brunch will be Distinguished Alumni Award recipients for 2019 Jane Bjornstad, Chandler, Ariz., and Dr. John Lyng, Minnetonka, Minn.; Distinguished Service Award recipients, Becky Gunderson, Portland, N.D., and Jim Lyng, Mayville, N.D.; and Performing Arts Hall of Fame inductees Michael Lien, Alameda, Calif., and Laurie (White) Nielson, Harwood, N.D.
The public is invited to attend the Athletic and Athletic Coaches Hall of Fame Dinner on Friday evening, Oct. 11, as well as the all-alumni brunch on Saturday morning, Oct. 12. Tickets are available at www.mayvillestate.edu/homecoming or by contacting the MSU Foundation at 701-788-4864 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mayville State University Alumni Association is sponsoring a number of additional events to celebrate Homecoming 2019.
Friday, Oct. 11:
- The Mayville State Comets volleyball team will host Briar Cliff beginning at 5:30 p.m. at the MSU Lewy Lee Fieldhouse.
- The Mayville Golf Club will be the site for a social for all Mayville State alumni and friends from 8:30 to 11 p.m. A special invitation is extended to all former Mayville State female athletes.
Saturday, Oct. 12:
- A volleyball alumni game is scheduled for 10 a.m. in the Lewy Lee Fieldhouse.
- The traditional Military Honor Garden Ceremony of Remembrance will begin at noon on the south lawn of the Edson & Margaret Larson Alumni and Leadership Center.
- A chili lunch will be served at the Larson Center beginning at noon. A special invitation is extended to all of Jim Lyng’s former student employees.
- The Comets will host Waldorf University in the homecoming football game. Kickoff is at 2 p.m. at Jerome Berg Field. All homecoming honorees will be recognized at half time.
Sunday, Oct. 13
- The MSU Music Department homecoming concert will begin at 2 p.m. in the MSU Classroom Building Auditorium.
For more information about Mayville State University’s Homecoming 2019 festivities, contact the MSU Office of Alumni Affairs, 701-788-4750 or email@example.com.