Will there be on-campus/in-person classes at Mayville State for Spring 2021?

Yes, we will welcome students to campus for full onsite operations. Spring semester classes begin at 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 11. The first full day of classes for the semester is Tuesday, Jan. 12.

What can I expect when I enter into an on-campus classroom?

For more information on academic operations, please see Academic Information on the restart website at /student-resources/health-services/covid-19-info/frequently-asked-questions/academic-information/.

Will the residence halls be open for Spring 2020?

Yes, the residence halls will be open. Double occupancy rooms will be available, with limited single rooms being offered for students for 2020-2021. Many safeguards have been developed for residential students including increased cleaning, additional disinfectant stations and some modifications to common areas to encourage social distancing.

Mayville State has identified a limited number of rooms that have been set aside for on-campus residential students who may need to isolate at any point during the semester. In these instances, contactless meal delivery and wellness checks will be provided.

Students who have concerns with living on-campus are asked to discuss options with the Office of Student Life. Please contact Dr. Jeffrey Powell by emailing jeffrey.powell@mayvillestate.edu.

Will dining services be open for meals and grab-and-go items?

Yes, dining services will be open. The cafeteria and snack bar will operate at a lower capacity and seating has been modified to follow social distancing guidelines. The cafeteria and snack bar will undergo thorough cleaning and disinfecting on a regular basis. Plexiglass barriers, increased hand sanitizer dispensers and other precautions have been put in place to ensure a clean and healthy environment.

How will proper sanitation of public water fountains be promoted?

Proper signage and cleaning supplies is available at each water fountain to remind everyone to sanitize the water fountain before and after use. Reusable water bottle use and use of the touchless water fountains on campus is encouraged whenever possible.

Is use of a mask, face covering, or face shield be required on campus?

In response to the SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued guidance recommending everyone use cloth face coverings when social distancing of at least 6 feet cannot be accomplished while indoors. The use of cloth face coverings prevents the spread of droplets that could contain the SARC-CoV-2 virus and is not intended to provide respiratory protection as defined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

All individuals on Mayville State University property or participating in an official university event are required to wear a face covering to contain potentially contaminated droplets while indoors. 

See specific details regarding use of face coverings.

Will there still be intramurals, student groups and other student activities?

Yes, our staff is working hard on finding creative approaches to co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. There will be some changes from what we would normally offer so that we better align with social distancing guidelines, but we will be encouraging students to get involved and get connected—just in different ways.

What do I do if I am sick?

Stay home if you feel sick. Review the absence policy in your course syllabi and contact your instructors if you will be missing classes. 

If you are sick, we ask that you consider the following:

  • Stay home. Do not go to class. Do not go to athletic practices or other activities or events.
    • Please note in the case of extended absences, documentation from a medical provider may be needed and can be submitted to Student Affairs.
  • If you have a fever (100.4 or higher), cough, or shortness of breath, call your medical provider or make an appointment with Student Health.
  • If you are having an emergency, go to the ER or dial 9-1-1.
  • If you are concerned that your symptoms align with COVID-19, take this North Dakota Department of Health survey.

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19?

Students are encouraged to self-report or report other cases of COVID-19 using the Mayville State reporting form, which may be accessed at https://mayvillestate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bBeGOXsYr2tGn6l. Amanda Jordan, our MSU COVID-19 Liaison, will review the reporting form and provide associated guidance and support for all involved MSU faculty, staff, and students.

I am feeling anxious, depressed, and unsure of things. Are there counselors available?

Many students are having difficulties processing things during these challenging times and that’s okay. We are here for you. Mayville State has a full-time counselor available to meet with both on-campus and online students. Appointments may be in-person or online. For more information or to set up an appointment, please contact Lindsay Birke, Director of Counseling by emailing lindsay.birke@mayvillestate.edu.

Are student services offices, like financial aid or academic advising open on campus?

Yes, all Mayville State offices are open. We know students may need support and we are here for you in order to provide the tools to be successful. You will see some additional precautions, like plexiglass barriers or measures to help with social distancing. Some services may be available via Zoom or Teams, so please contact the office you are seeking to meet with for additional information.