Making an Appointment

If you are concerned about yourself or someone you care about, contact Mayville State University Counseling Services.

Contact Information

  • Hours of operation:
    • Academic Terms:
      • Monday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
      • Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
      • Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
      • Thursday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
      • Friday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
      • Saturday & Sunday: Closed
    • Summer:
      • Monday: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
      • Tuesday: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
      • Wednesday: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
      • Thursday: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
      • Friday: 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM
      • Saturday & Sunday: Closed
  • Location:
    • Classroom Building 108D
      Stan Dakken Drive
      Mayville, ND 58257
  • Email:
  • Phone: 701-788-4772

Scheduling an Appointment

Call (701-788-4772) or email ( Services can be provided in-person or online, please indicate your preference when making an appointment. You may be asked several questions prior to being scheduled for an appointment. A confirmation email with your appointment information will be sent to you.

First Appointments

If you have not received counseling services from Mayville State University before, you will be scheduled for an Initial Consultation. During this initial session, the consulting counselor will listen to your concerns, obtain information about you, assess your needs, and discuss available resources.

Returning Appointments

If you have received counseling services from Mayville State University before and are regularly attending services, the counselor will assist you in scheduling or rescheduling any on-going sessions. If it has been some time since you were last seen, you may need to be scheduled for a Return Consultation.


Mayville State University Counseling Services provides clinical and outreach services for currently enrolled MSU students.  There are no fees affiliated with the use of these counseling services. In-person and telemental health services are available to both on and off-campus students.


Referrals to professional counseling services off campus are available as needed. The nature and complexity of presenting concerns are considered in making the appropriate treatment recommendation(s).  Cases are evaluated individually, and the professional judgement of the mental health provider(s) will determine the treatment decision in each particular situation.

Situations that may require a transfer of care include:

  • A need, or request, to be seen more than once a week for individual therapy.
  • A need, or request, for uninterrupted individual services from semester to semester.
  • A need, or request, for a treatment modality not provided by the available counselor.
  • Lack of motivation or engagement in treatment, as evidenced by:
    • An unwillingness to provide information sufficient for clinical assessment.
    • The inability to identify a treatment goal appropriate for short-term or intermittent therapy.
    • Inconsistent attendance.
    • Poor compliance with treatment recommendations.
  • Individual counseling initiated only to earn credit for a class.
  • A need, or request, to be seen differently than what the available counselor has clinically recommended.
  • Comprehensive psychological assessment of any type, including but not limited to:
    • Neuropsychological evaluations.
    • Forensic assessments.
    • Custody evaluations.
    • Assessment and documentation for service or support animals.
    • Fitness-for-duty evaluations.
    • Pre-surgical mental health evaluations.
  • Students who are already receiving ongoing therapy with another mental health provider.
  • A need, or request, for services outside the state of North Dakota.
  • The presence of one or more of the following, such that treatment would consist of mandated treatment, an intensive outpatient program, or a higher level of care:
    • Chronic suicidality and/or recent history of multiple suicide attempts.
    • Severe and chronic self-injury.
    • Court-mandated assessment or treatment requirements.
    • Significant or chronic disordered eating symptoms posing a medical danger.
    • Significant or chronic substance use/abuse which compromises therapy.
    • Active symptoms of psychosis at risk for progressive deterioration.

Crises During Office Hours

Students in crisis will be seen as soon as possible on a walk-in basis, whether it is in-person or online. Please call (701-788-4772) or email ( to speak with the counselor and set up a crisis appointment. When calling, be sure to indicate that you have an emergency and need to be seen at the earliest possible time.

If you are having a medical emergency, please call 911 for help.

Crises Outside Office Hours

If you are a student in crisis after hours or over the weekend, please contact FirstLink at (701-235-7335) or text your zip code to (898-211). They are a free, confidential, 24/7 phone line service for crisis support. For additional crisis resources please see the crisis intervention page.