Welcome to Mayville State University!
The Mayville State University Center for Teaching and Learning exists to assist students with all their distance and online education needs. If at any time you have questions, please feel free to contact the Mayville State Center for Teaching and Learning by calling 1-800-437-4104, ext. 34645 or emailing CTL@mayvillestate.edu.
If you have changed your plans to attend Mayville State University for Fall 2022, please contact the Academic Records Office to withdraw from classes: 1-800-437-4104, ext. 34774 or 701-788-4774.
Classes begin Monday, August 22, at 4 p.m. (Central time). Your courses will not show in Blackboard until Monday, August 22, at Noon.
USE THIS NEW STUDENT CHECKLIST TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY FOR THE SEMESTER TO BEGIN!
2. CRITICAL -- If you have not yet done so, claim your NDUS User Account (student account) at https://helpdesk.ndus.edu/ndusaccount. Until you claim your account you will not be able to self-register, view your class schedule in Campus Connection, view/pay student charges, access classes in Blackboard, and so on. Click here for detailed instructions on claiming your Campus Connection User Account.
3. Complete the Financial Obligation Agreement (FOA) for Fall 2022. You must complete the student Financial Obligation Agreement each semester prior to registering for classes. Please review these FOA instructions for more information.
4. Register for classes. Please be sure to check with your academic advisor prior to changing your class schedule.
5. Log into your Mayville State email account to give it a test run at least one week before classes begin. As a Mayville State student, you should receive access to a university email account within 24 hours of registration. You can access this university email account by clicking the envelope icon at the top right of the Mayville State homepage at www.mayvillestate.edu. You may be prompted to set up DUO Authentication for added security when accessing your email account.
All official communication from university departments (financial aid, business office, etc.) and instructors goes to your MSU email. However, you may also receive online class login information and other important information as a new student at the email address you used when applying for admission or registering for courses. Be sure any non-MSU email account you are using accepts email from Mayville State, and be sure to check both your Inbox and Trash/Junk/Clutter mailboxes in your email account for important email from Mayville State. This is especially important to do prior to the start of an academic term.
It is critical that you are able to frequently access your Mayville State email. Important information about your admission, registration, financial aid, and more will be sent ONLY through your Mayville State email account. Faculty members expect you will communicate ONLY with your Mayville State email address regarding questions about your online classes. Please be sure to check your Mayville State University email account at least 5-7 times per week at a MINIMUM. You may refer to our How Do I guide for instructions on logging into your email account.
If you have any questions or issues accessing your Mayville State email, contact MSU Information Technology Services.
6. Log into your Blackboard Learn account to give it a test run at least one week before classes begin. As a Mayville State student, you should receive access to a Blackboard account within 24 hours of registration. You can access this account by clicking the "Bb" icon at the top right of the Mayville State homepage at www.mayvillestate.edu. Please review the more detailed information on accessing online courses in Blackboard below (scroll down).
7. Set up your online ordering profile and purchase books and materials from the Mayville State Bookstore. Please allow 72 hours after registration before attempting to set up your online ordering profile. Fall 2022 book ordering opens on August 3, 2022. Read through all information regarding shipping, returns, and refunds for your books and materials that is available through the Bookstore.
8. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA. Mayville State’s school code is 002993. If you have any questions or want to ensure your financial aid file is complete with all requirements, don’t hesitate to contact the Financial Aid Office or by phone at 701-788-4893.
10. Contact the Business Office with questions about payments and payment plans for tuition and fees charges.
11. Learn about the Academic Requirements Report (ARR) tool to track your degree completion.
12. Learn about the Starfish Early Alert System.
13. Review Consumer Information for Students.
Accessing Mayville State University Online Classes
Mayville State's classes are found in Blackboard (Bb). Classes will show in Blackboard by Noon (Central) on Monday, August 22. To ensure you are registered for the correct classes, please log in and refer to your official class schedule in Campus Connection for details specific to your courses. To access Campus Connection, go to www.mayvillestate.edu. Next, click on the "C" icon in the upper right corner, or "Campus Connection" in the lower right of the webpage. If you do not know your Campus Connection username and/or password, call the Campus Connection Help Desk at 1-866-457-6387.
If you have a problem accessing your courses after Noon. (CDT) on the first full day of classes or have any other technical questions, please contact the following Bb support:
MSU Blackboard Support Specialist
MSU Service Desk
MSU Service Desk
After hours: NDUS Help Desk 1.866.457.6387
Give your Mayville State Blackboard login access a test run at least one week prior to the start of classes.
Please also take some time to practice Blackboard and learn about being a Mayville State University student in the Student Orientation course located in your list of courses within Blackboard. This optional orientation is available beginning August 3, 2022, and will appear in your list of Blackboard courses. It is not required and there is no cost associated with the Student Orientation. However, students are encouraged to take some time to work through the orientation prior to the start of classes.
To take online courses through Mayville State, you should be familiar with the following:
- Basic operation of a computer.
- An Internet browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- Sending and receiving e-mails.
- Microsoft Word.
- Access to Computers and the Internet
To complete online courses, you will need to meet the Technology Requirements, including regular access to a computer and reliable internet access. High speed internet access is highly recommended for all courses and is required for most courses. iPads and Chromebooks or devices running Chrome OS do not meet the minimum technology requirements. You must have access to a personal computer.
Please be sure you are prepared for the technology demands of online course enrollment at the start of the academic semester. Please note that the lack of access to a reliable computer, reliable high-speed internet connection, or required technology or software for your MSU online classes is NOT an excuse for submitting late work, or requesting extended exam timeframes, or starting courses late in the semester. Direct any questions to the MSU Information Technology Service Desk.
- PC with Windows 8.1 or newer (Windows 10 is recommended); Mac users must have at least Mac OS X version 10.10 or newer (and certain courses may require Mac users to purchase additional software).
- A web browser, such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Chrome is preferred for Blackboard.
- Microsoft Office 2016 is available to all Mayville State students at no additional cost to the student. You must first be registered as a student to have access. Office includes Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and more. To get started with this suite of programs, follow the Microsoft Office software download instructions below. You will also find how to access other self-help articles.
- Students should download Adobe Reader and set up an appropriate digital signature. Students must use the correct type of digital signature when submitting various forms that allow for electronic signatures.
Microsoft Office 365
Adobe Reader Download
Distance learners must secure their own Internet Service. Consult local listings for Internet Service Providers.
Minimum Requirement: 1 Mbps or higher (achieved via DSL, Cable service, or wireless services)
INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT
Mayville State provides technical support and assistance with instructional technology. For student help and information for Blackboard, see the Student Blackboard Orientation and Knowledge Base once you have logged into Blackboard.
Students taking online, synchronous classes need to ensure they are fully attentive to class activities while attending online class sessions. Family members, children, pets, cell phones, and other distractions must be out of sight for class sessions. Distractions for students and the instructor are not allowed.
Continue to work with your advisor to process any course substitutions, if appropriate, for your program of study. Please review the Distance Student Handbook and How Do I guide for further information on getting started as a Mayville State online/distance student.
HOW DO I GET A STUDENT ID CARD?
To get a student ID card, you will need to submit the Campus ID Request Form. You will be required to submit a recent "headshot" picture. Additional information on how to add and use funds with your Campus ID can be found on the Campus ID webpage and by reviewing our Campus ID information for online students.
PAYMENT OF FEES
All Fall 2022 semester charges are due paid in full by September 7, 2022.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your financial account, please contact the MSU Business Office at 1-800-437-4104, ext. 34757 as soon as possible.
Students are required to access their account information online through Campus Connection. To access Campus Connection:
- Go to www.mayvillestate.edu
- Click on the "C" icon in the upper right-hand corner or Campus Connection in the lower right-hand corner.
- Log in with your NDUS/Campus Connection credentials. If you do not know your Campus Connection username and/or password, call the Campus Connection Help Desk at 1-866-457-6387.
- Once logged in, click on your Financial Account tile.
- From the menu on the left you can select what you would like to, such as view your account balance or make a payment online (here is where you could also set up a payment plan).
IMPORTANT--You will be responsible for total tuition and fees due for courses in which you are enrolled unless you take the steps necessary to officially drop classes by the established drop dates. To officially drop or withdraw, you MUST follow the procedures established by the Academic Records Office. Withdrawal and refund dates vary by the courses enrolled. Please check your Campus Connection schedule for details specific to your courses. For summer sessions, the 100% drop dates are very quick and you must pay very close attention to the drop dates for courses in Campus Connection. Complete refunds (100%) for dropped classes are only available in the first day or so of the term. After the 100% refund period, an individual class that is dropped will NOT receive a refund. Total withdrawal from all Mayville State classes will follow the tuition refund schedule available from the Business Office.
Fall 2022 Important Withdrawal Dates:
If you are enrolling or are enrolled in Fall 2022 courses, please note these important dates, as well as the complete schedule of tuition refund dates on the Business Office webpage.
You must officially withdraw from a course if you intend to drop the course. To withdraw from a course or the semester term, follow official procedures through the Office of Academic Records.
If you are experiencing difficulties in a course (attendance concerns, low test scores or participation, in danger of failing, etc.), your instructor may send an email to your mayvillestate.edu email account through the Starfish system. The short message will tell you about any concerns and the next steps to take to resolve the issue. Your advisor, the Director of Student Success, and/or your instructor will work with you to create success strategies to address any difficulties you are having. In addition, if your instructor observes that you are doing well in their course, you may also receive “kudos” from them acknowledging your efforts. Please watch your email for Starfish updates and reply to your instructor, advisor, and Director of Student Success.
FREE Online Tutoring for your Course is Available!
Student Support Services at Mayville State University provides students with access to online tutoring from Smarthinking. With Smarthinking, you can chat with a live tutor up to 24 hours a day from ANY internet connection. Tutors are available to work with you in a wide range of subjects including writing (for any course), math (basic math through calc II), accounting, statistics, finance, economics, biology, anatomy & physiology, physics, chemistry, office applications, and MyMathLab!
To connect with a tutor through Blackboard, follow these steps:
- Login to your Blackboard account
- Click on the following link: Smarthinking
- Choose one of the four options; Work with a tutor, Submit a Question, Submit a Writing, or Review Sessions and Submissions
- From that point you may choose a subject area and work from there
- If you needs any assistance contact Robert Davis, the Blackboard Administrator at email@example.com.
Note: If a course is highlighted blue, it is available to use. If a course is highlighted white, it is unavailable to use.
Technical Requirements from the Smarthinking website:
- Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10, Mac (10.4+), Google Chromium, iOS, Android and Linux
- Browser: Internet Explorer (Version 8.0 & above), Firefox 12.0+, Google Chrome and Safari 5.0+
- Internet Connection: Minimum 256 kbps or above
- Browser related points that you will need to remember:
- Cookies: Allow
- Pop-ups: Allow
Working with a Live Tutor:
Connect with a live tutor by choosing the subject area in which you need help under Drop In Session. You may see tutoring available now, or you may be able to set up a tutoring appointment by selecting Schedule a Future Session. Then use the whiteboard to start a chat session with a professional tutor and type your question. After you have typed your question(s) or problem(s), click the Enter Question button. You may have to wait a few minutes to get connected but once you do, you'll have the tutor's full and undivided attention! You can also load graphics and PDFs into the whiteboard so if the problem that you need help with includes a drawing or graphic, choose the "Share Document" icon in the whiteboard. Using that tool, you can upload screenshots, pictures, or PDF copies of your textbook, making it easier for you and the tutor to communicate.
For more detailed information about how to use the various tools in Smarthinking, click this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3N6jkI1t0&feature=youtu.be
You may also click the SUPPORT tab and then TUTORIALS to help with any questions you have.
Each Mayville State University student is given 10 hours of free Smarthinking tutoring per semester. If you need more hours throughout the semester, please contact Katie Richards at Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any other questions, please contact the Center for Teaching and Learning at 1-800-437-4104, ext. 34645.
Have a great semester online!