Yes! You can earn college credit while still in high school!

You can earn college credit in high school while developing advanced communication skills and making the transition to college easier. These are just a few of the benefits of enrolling in a dual credit course as an early entry student. Don't delay. Enroll in a dual credit course and get a jump start on your college degree. Click here for more information.

What is dual credit?

Through the Mayville State's dual credit program, qualified high school students are able to enroll in specifically approved classes taught in their local high schools, online, or through interactive video. They receive "dual credit," both high school and university credit for their work. Dual credit gives motivated, college-bound high school students the opportunity to get a jump start on college by earning college credit before attending on a full-time basis. Credit earned under this program will be applicable toward a degree at Mayville State and is generally transferable to other accredited colleges and universities.

Who can take dual credit courses?

Any high school student enrolled in grades ten, eleven, or twelve who has received permission from his or her school administrator, has a 3.0 GPA and meets any course placement or pre-requisite guidelines is eligible for enrollment in a Mayville State dual credit course. To enroll in ENGL 110 College Composition I, an ACT English sub-test score of 18 is required.  To enroll in MATH 103 College Algebra, an ACT Mathematics sub-test score of 21 is required. Additional placement information can be found at the North Dakota University System website.

Students who do not meet the required minimum 3.0 GPA may be allowed to take dual credit courses with special permission. Please use this Special Permission Form to request special consideration for enrolling in dual credit.  High school counselors and teachers may advise students regarding their academic readiness to participate in dual credit courses, and only those students who are academically ready should enroll in a dual credit course.

Dual credit scholarship program

This is a unique program that is only available to those students enrolled in dual credit high school courses offered through Mayville State. In order to qualify for the scholarship, students must have completed at least one Mayville State dual credit course in high school prior to their full time enrollment at Mayville State as a freshman in the fall semester after high school graduation. Students will earn scholarships equivalent to the cost of their dual credit tuition for their freshman year at Mayville State. The scholarship will not exceed the amount of $2000.

Dual Credit Scholarship Factsheet

What Will It Cost?

Mayville State dual credit course costs are listed below. 

*These fees are estimated and subject to change without notice. Books and materials are not included in the tuition and fees.

Estimated Costs for 2018-2019 Per Credit Per 3-credit course
Tuition Costs $132.41 $397.23

Dual Credit Assistance through Bank of North Dakota

How Do I Register?

Complete the Mayville State Early Entry (Dual Credit) Enrollment Agreement, Parent Agreement Form 2018-2019 and MSU Application for Admission. Instructions for completing the online MSU Application for Admission are available here. When completing these forms, please be sure to include the course title and course number exactly as they appear on the listing of dual credit courses found here.

Submit the forms above, along with your one-time application fee of $35.00, to:

Office Extended Learning
Mayville State University
330 Third Street NE
Mayville, ND 58257

Will the credits transfer?

Credits received for dual credit courses appear on your Mayville State transcript as regular college credit. All dual credit courses can be equally transferred to any college or university within the North Dakota University System. Dual credit courses will generally transfer to other institutions as well; however, it is up to the receiving institution to determine how the credits will be accepted.

Dual Credit Factsheet

Early Entry Students

Early entry students interested in taking MSU courses not eligible for dual credit will need to submit a letter from a high school principal or superintendent allowing enrollment in college courses prior to high school graduation. Early entry students taking classes not designated as a dual credit class section will pay the regular Mayville State on-campus or online tuition and fees to enroll.  Students must meet any required class pre-requisite requirements to enroll as early entry students.  

Requesting Transcripts (to send to colleges or universities)

You will need to send a final, official transcript to the college or university you are attending after graduation in order to transfer your college credits earned through dual credit classes with Mayville State.  

Mayville State University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide an online transcript ordering service for us. This service allows the convenience of ordering official transcripts securely via the web at any time, day or night. It also provides notices regarding your transcript request and the ability to check your order status history online.

In order to use the online transcript service, a valid credit/debit card and an email account are needed. Credit cards will only be charged after transcript orders have been completed. A fee of $7.25 is required per transcript. This fee applies to all transcripts sent via regular mail or picked up.

To order a transcript, log into National Student Clearinghouse and follow the step-by-step instructions.

To request a transcript if you do not have a credit/debit card and/or valid e-mail address, complete the Transcript Request Form and send it along with payment to:

Mayville State University
Office of Academic Records
330 Third St. NE
Mayville, ND 58257

Current and former students with Campus Connection access (includes all students who attended Mayville State University from Fall 2003 to present) may view and print an "unofficial" transcript free of charge by logging into Campus Connection and clicking on Self Service, Academic Records and then View Unofficial Transcript.

A transcript cannot be issued you have an outstanding account balance (financial hold). Contact the Mayville State Business Office at 1-800-437-4104, ext. 34758 to resolve the issue.

Any questions may be directed to the Office of Academic Records at 1-800-437-4104, ext. 34641.

For More Information:

Mayville State University Extended Learning