Health FAQs

Are the symptoms the same for H1N1 and seasonal flu?

Yes. Typical symptoms of both are:

  • Fever of 100 degrees or higher
  • Cough
  • Sore Throat
  • Body Aches
  • Chills/Sweats/Fatigue


  • Do not attend classes or other campus activities until you are symptom free for 24 hours.
  • Drink plenty of water to help your fever and prevent dehydration.
  • Take an over the counter pain reliever as directed.
  • Gargle with warm salt water. This also soothes the throat.
  • Suck on a hard piece of candy or lozenge to keep your throat from drying out.
  • Have a hot broth based soup. This helps thin the mucus and feels good on the throat.

If you have the flu, stay home, rest and drink fluids.

When should I see a doctor if I have the flu?

You should see a doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms:

  • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
  • Sudden dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Severe or persistent vomiting that does not go away
  • Flu-like symptoms that improve but then come back with a fever or worsening cough

How do I know if I have mono?

The following are symptoms of mono:

  • High fever
  • Severe sore throat
  • Swollen lymph glands in the neck
  • Weakness and fatigue
  • Pain in the upper left abdominal area (Your spleen is here and is usually swollen and tender when you have an active case. It usually starts 4-6 weeks after you are exposed to the virus.)

* Once you are over mono, the symptoms will be gone.


Rest is the mainstay of treatment.
Avoid heavy lifting and contact sports because of the risk of rupturing the spleen.
Gargle with salt water or use throat lozenges to sooth your throat.
Take Tylenol or Motrin to reduce fever, sore throat, and headaches.
If you choose to go to a clinic, ask for a mono spot for diagnosis.

What is the Tobacco Policy?

Tobacco Free Campus

How do I quit smoking/chewing?

For free, private phone counseling support, call Quitline at 1-866-388-7848.
For On-campus help, call Shawnda Schroeder, Tobacco coordinator, at 701-788-4626.

Where can I get tested for a sexually transmitted disease?

In town:

MeritCare Clinic – Mayville
Telephone number: 788-4500

Out of town:

Valley Health in Grand Forks
1551 28th Ave. South

There is a sliding fee based on your income or lack thereof.

First Choice Clinic – Fargo
1351 Page Dr. Suite 205

Fargo Cass Public Health
401 Third Ave N